Monday 28 March 2016

Bis + The Yummy Fur - King Tut's Wah Wah Hut

I've been a massive fan of Bis since I was 15, and last week I finally got to see them live, in their hometown of Glasgow no less. Tonight is the first of the few shows the band have scheduled for this year, and there's a definite buzz of excitement throughout the venue.

The Yummy Fur open the night with a rare appearance, coming on stage to an already-packed room. Like Bis, The Yummy Fur have never quite got the recognition they deserve, and I'll never understand why. Every song they play gets a great reaction, with my personal favourites being Roxy Girls and Policeman.

Next, it's time for Bis. Tonight's set list is made up mostly of the bands early material, making for a bouncy, high-energy night, starting with School Disco. The songs all sound, if it's possible, even better live, and the new song they slip in fits perfectly with the rest of their material; Sci-Fi Steven might have joked about some of their "Teen-C" lyrics being "timeless", but sound-wise, that actually rings true.

Monstarr sees Manda Rin stepping away from the keyboards and picking up a megaphone to rant about the media's obsession with image, a theme which is just as, if not more, relevant than when the song was first released.

All three of the members look so happy to be performing, and keep thanking everyone for coming throughout their set.

The band return to the stage to play their forthcoming Record Store Day release Boredom Could Be Good For You, followed by Eurodisco. I feel like I'm in the minority of Bis fans here, but I've never been that keen on Eurodisco - played live though, I loved it!

It's clear that Bis still have so much to offer, I'm hoping the new songs mean a new album, or at least an EP, might be in the works. I can't wait to see them again at Manchester in May - do yourself a favour and snap up a ticket while you still can!

1 comment:

  1. Ah,you're very lucky! I doubt that coming to Australia is on the cards for them, but their gig here in '99 at Adelaide Uni is still in my top 10 live shows of all time. <3

    ReplyDelete